5 Health Myths Everyone Assumes Are True
Some health tips are passed down from generation to generation. They become so ingrained in our culture and in our families that we don’t even question whether they’re true or not. Here are five health myths your mother told you that aren’t true. Remember kids — question everything.
You’ve heard that carrots are good for your eyes and, if you eat them, you’ll improve your eyesight and possibly avoid having to wear glasses altogether. While it’s true carrots are good for you and they do contain beta-carotene that turns into Vitamin A, the conversion of beta-carotene to Vitamin A is very low. Vitamin A is already supplied to us almost entirely by our trusty liver. So, eat your carrots, but don’t expect them to help your eyes.
Have you ever heard that humans only use 4 percent of their brains? If we used the other 96 percent, we would be able to accomplish all kinds of wondrous things, some of them supernatural! False. Humans use most of their brains most of the time. Even doing simple tasks requires us to do so, not to mention the more complex ones.
Poison ivy is contagious, right? You can catch it from Sally so-and-so who rolled in a patch of it in the woods! No, you can’t. The only way to catch poison ivy is to come into direct contact with the plant or the sap from the plant yourself. So, go hang out with Sally so-and-so all you want and leave the calamine lotion at home.
Every year millions of people increase their intake of Vitamin C to stave off colds and flu. Although taking Vitamin C supplements or eating foods high in Vitamin C can boost your immune system, it won’t prevent you from catching a cold or the flu. Bad news for the vitamin companies, but hey, they can still combat scurvy!
Probiotics have been marketed as the next best thing to heal your gastrointestinal system. Just pop some $20 supplements in your mouth, introduce billions of gut-friendly bacteria and all your problems are gone. Unfortunately, there is no scientific data to back up these claims and on top of that, probiotics aren’t regulated at all. Your body already has a host of friendly bacteria living in there and if you want to boost it, try eating fermented foods instead.
More in Life Hacks
This Crocheting Octogenarian Grandmother Has Made Over 2,000 Adorable Homemade Hats For Newborns
An elderly woman is staying busy even in her retirement. Using her crochet skills, the grandmother is helping newborns stay warm with...March 21, 2019
Seven-Year-Old Hero Bikes Down The Highway To Save Dad’s Life
The idea of a child biking down the highway and accepting help from strangers makes most parents nervous, but one father...March 21, 2019
After 28 Days In The Wild, This EMT Refused To Give Up On Saving His Missing Therapy Dog
Often times, adopting a pet can save more than the life of the animal. Pets can be healing, comforting, and therapeutic...March 20, 2019
The Real Story Behind 5 St. Patrick’s Day Traditions Explained
St. Patrick’s Day is brimming with lively, colorful traditions. There are certain foods and beverages as well as favored colors and...March 18, 2019
Starbucks China Released Cat-Paw Cups And Fans ‘Furr-eaked’ Out
People love Starbucks coffee. There are some who can’t get their days started without it. But now customers are going absolutely...March 18, 2019
Krispy Kreme Is Releasing Its Specialty Green Donuts Just In Time For St. Patrick’s Day
Krispy Kreme is going green, at least for a little while! The popular donut shop is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, offering...March 17, 2019
Clever Texas Retiree Figures Out Why Holiday Inn Tops Nursing Home For Golden Years
Being a senior citizen can be tough on the wallet, but one Texas man knows the perfect place to spend his...March 16, 2019
Kind Mystery Man Helps Girl Scouts Get Out Of The Cold, Buying Entire Stock Of Cookies For $540
Emerson and Maya are two Girl Scouts who live in Greenville, South Carolina. They were selling girl scout cookies outside of...March 15, 2019
This Little Boy’s Response To Finding Out ‘Two Princesses’ Can Marry Left Newlyweds In Tears
A wedding should be one of the happiest experiences of a couple’s relationship. Yet, for members of the LGBTQ+ community, judgment...March 15, 2019