These Are Some Of The Wackiest Guinness World Records Out There
Across the planet, communities have banded together in hopes of winning a coveted Guinness World Record — and it’s taken some serious creativity and thinking outside the box. From whip-cracking to giant teddy bears, from massive enchiladas to coconut orchestras, check out some of the most outlandish records yet to date.
1. Think your cute stuffed animal collection is impressive? Chances are, Masao Gunji from Japan has got you beat by a long shot. Over thirty years, he and his wife have gathered so much Hello Kitty memorabilia that he now holds the Guinness World Record.
2. Manjit Singh has barely even broken a sweat, but you just might when you realize that one of the Guinness World Records that he holds is the farthest distance for pulling a bus (single decker, mind you) with his ears! While he pulled this double decker bus, too, it didn’t break the record.
3. Not all that glitters is gold: it may yet be diamonds too. Feast your eyes upon the world’s largest ring. Don’t plan on wearing it any time soon, however, unless you plan on shelling out over $3 million, and feel like lifting its 141 pounds!
4. What is this, a newspaper for ants? As if this teeny periodical isn’t impressive enough, the record has since been broken by an itsy bitsy paper in Portugal, measuring 0.72 by 0.99 inches.
5. If you’re going to be the one evaluating whether or not a structure is worthy of receiving a Guinness World Record, you might as well strike a pose. 168 trucks delivered sand for a week in order to create this, the world’s largest sandcastle.
6. One picture alone is scarcely enough to cover the entire scope of this home in Canberra, Australia, which won the Guinness World Record for most Christmas lights. The owners took holiday cheer to the next level, decking the halls with 502,165 sparkling bulbs.
7. Before you coo over what a cute baby this is, you’ll be shocked to know that this tiny horse is in fact fully grown. This adorable little lady, Thumbelina, hails from St. Louis, and holds the Guinness World Record as the planet’s smallest horse.
8. And you thought your septum piercing was edgy. This is Elaine Davidson, and she is officially the most pierced woman in the world. Originally from Brazil, her body has over 6,000 piercings — and counting.
9. Mom, are these pants too big on me? This team in South Korea created a massive 98-foot tall pair of blue jeans, which won the Guinness World Record, albeit briefly. They were recently beaten by a pair in Peru that, while not as tall, was wider, and therefore the biggest all around.
10. Setting a Guinness World Record can also be good for the Earth: artist and photographer Ben Von Wong gathered a team to collect 168,000 plastic straws from the streets of major Vietnamese cities, and together, they made it into an eleven-foot wave, the largest structure of its kind.
11. If you’re lucky, you might just make it up to his belt buckle. The fantastic pair below are Chandra Bahadur Dangi of Nepal and Sultan Kösen of Turkey, respectively the shortest and tallest men on Earth. Chandra passed away in 2015, but not before he met his enormous counterpart.
12. Breakfast lovers, there’s just no way this picture won’t make you salivate. This team of chefs in Bosnia and Herzegovina won the Guinness World Record for the largest amount of pancakes prepared in under 8 hours: they made 12,874 flapjacks, to be precise!
13. It’s a definite swipe-right: stare deeply and longingly into the eyes of Gregory Paul McLaren, better known as Lucky Diamond Rich. A performance artist from New Zealand, he’s the world’s most tattooed man — with ink anywhere you can imagine.
14. It shouldn’t be surprising that there’s many different sandwich-related Guinness World Records: the longest sandwich, the most people making sandwiches simultaneously. The record being set here is the most hero sandwiches ever made in an hour: 2,706.
15. Sure, it’s a tried and true traveler tradition of attempting to cram as many people as possible into a London telephone booth. But here, these people are in the process of packing into a photobooth — and breaking the record for the most amount of people ever inside.
16. Since this picture was taken at San Francisco’s annual Bay To Breakers festival, the largest gathering of people dressed as smurfs has been replicated many times. According to Guinness guidelines, you must have your face, arms, and legs painted blue to qualify.
17. Roberto Estrada of Las Cruces, New Mexico, led the initiative for this scrumptious winner: the world’s largest three-layer enchilada. Though a group of foodies in Mexico claim to have beaten him, he argues that his enchilada is flat, not rolled — so the record holds!
18. This massive, colorful celebration looks like it could be an opening for the Olympic Games — but in fact, it’s a group of 25,703 participants in China performing the world’s largest line dance, all in unison after months of impressive practice.
19. Sometimes, all it takes to win a Guinness World Record is to think out of the box, to wonder how you can take an everyday object and make it superlative. For example, this is a pair of the world’s largest functional knitting needles.
20. A team of soldiers, marines, and volunteer airmen helped lead 2,288 students in the Atlanta area for half an hour as they undertook the world’s largest physical education class. Looks like these kids will never complain in gym again!
21. New Orleans recording artist Big Freedia and 250 helpers earned the Guinness World Record for most amount of people twerking together, at a massive event held in New York City’s Herald Square. The rules? They could only use their hips.
22. Hailing from Serbia, Nikola Kulezić has earned a particularly unique Guinness World Record for herself, boasting the longest hair extension. It measures 2,691 feet and 3 inches. Just have a look at the floor behind her.
23. The care, the precision, the poor and aching toes: this intrepid group of participants in Australia vied to break the Guinness World Record for people running while wearing high heeled shoes, originally set in Indiana.
24. If you’re a damsel in distress, chances are, this is the best possible group of people you could bump into. This group gathered at the Hollywood & Highland Center in Los Angeles to try and make the Guinness World Record for the largest amount of DC Comics Super Heroes in a single place. So specific!
25. Who’s hungry and would like a nice dollop of sour cream? Far from Mexico, the world’s largest nachos were made in Billerica, Massachusetts. This enormous and spicy serving weighed a whopping 3,999 pounds.
26. While this group of dancers in the rain of the English seaside came close to beating the Guinness World Record for number of people waltzing together at the same time, they were unsuccessful. From the look of things, however, that didn’t stop them from having fun!
27. In a throwback to famed motorbike rider Evel Knievel, daredevil Mike Metzger broke the Guinness World Record for the longest backflip performed on a motorcycle, as he jumped the famous fountain at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, making it look effortless.
28. After 50 hours of loving labor, this team in China was able to make the world’s most massive block of tofu. While it may look wiggly enough, don’t be fooled: this bean curd weighs 6,878 pounds!
29. Now here’s a Guinness World Record we would like to see beaten again and again: this group of achievers in Costa Rica was able to gather 25 tons of plastic bottles in just eight hours, winning a record, recycling it all, and making their home just a little greener.
30. How do you feel about getting picked up for a night on the town in this raggedy ride? This car won the Guinness World Record for being the vehicle most covered in human hair. Want to climb inside?
31. It’s the perfect combination of fun things: keeping cool on a hot day, keeping clean, partying with your friends, and breaking a Guinness World Record. This merry group of 396 revelers at the Firefly Music Festival in Delaware were the largest group of people ever to shower together.
32. He’d sang about gin and juice for decades before deciding to truly take it up a notch. With apricot brandy, gin, and plenty of orange juice, Snoop Dogg received a Guinness World Record for the largest paradise cocktail ever.
33. Every year on the festival of Holi, millions of people in India engage in a massive color war. But the Guinness World Record for most painted people in one place actually belongs to this giant group of revelers in Poland, and it looks like one of the most fun records you could break.
34. It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out which Guinness World Record was won by this costumed procession: the most people dressed up as Albert Einstein, of course. No prizes for guessing correctly — Nobel or otherwise.
35. The stars of the Ghostbusters remake must have been delightfully spooked to be greeted at the film’s Singapore premiere by the largest gathering of people dressed as ghosts in the world — 263, to be exact.
36. It’s you and him, defying gravity: Manvel Mamoyan may not actually be able to levitate, but he does hold multiple Guinness World Records. These include the most handstand push-ups and the most jump squats in one minute done by a man.
37. What do you do when you want to bring in more tourists? Create an enormous teddy bear that can snag you a Guinness World Record, of course! That’s the project that the citizens of Xonacatlán, Mexico, set themselves to for over three months — and won.
38. Just in case Godzilla would like his toes to look fabulous, this father and son team are building an enormous chappal, a South Asian style of sandal. They are hoping to beat the Guinness World Record, currently held by Mexico.
39. Parrots, cutlasses, and all, it looks like a jolly good time was had at this event, where people gathered to try and break the Guinness World Record of the most people dressed as pirates in the same place — Penzance, of course. Avast, they were 77 participants shy of making it!
40. Asha Mandela is a modern-day Rapunzel. After decades of growing out her natural dreadlocks, she won a Guinness World Record for them. Her flowing locks measure over 55 feet, and washing them can require six bottles of shampoo.
41. Strum to your heart’s content: 7,423 musicians descended on the city of Wrocław, Poland, to participate in the largest guitar orchestra on record. So what song did they jam to? The classic tunes of Jimi Hendrix’s “Hey Joe”, of course! Jimi would be proud — though they didn’t light their axes on fire.
42. Joyously they bounce along through London town — and set a world record for the most amount of people bouncing on space hoppers. Their record has since been broken, but it looks like an absurd amount of fun.
43. No, contrary to popular belief, KISS frontman Gene Simmons does not have the longest human tongue on record. The Guinness World Record was set by Stephen Taylor from Coventry, England, and while it has since been reset, the judges are out, as he claims his tongue has continued growing since then.
44. Despite appearances, this Guinness World Record doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that these daredevils are driving on the side of the car. The man on the motorbike intercepted their rugby pass — making it the fastest interception to date.
45. From afar, this may look like a half-finished pyramid. But if only you could smell what it really is: this record-breaking mound in Ecuador is made up of half a million roses all stacked together.
46. If you haven’t seen the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, spoiler: there’s no horse, just two coconuts being clopped together. So naturally, Monty Python castmates joined the then-mayor of London, and thousands of people to create the world’s largest coconut orchestra. Brilliant!
47. Why just go for size when you could actually impact the planet with your Guinness World Record? This enormous team of volunteers in Bhutan won accolades for the most trees planted, but gratefully, that record has since been broken several times!
48. The Kaikottikali is a dance performed in South India by groups of women, and these ladies in particular had a goal on their mind: creating this whirling, colorful marvel, which is the largest group of kaikottikali dancers on record!
49. Daredevil Adam Winrich has certainly earned his nickname “Crack.” He holds a variety of different Guinness World Records, including the greatest number of candles extinguished by the crack of a whip, to the greatest number of times a whip has been cracked in a minute.
50. Nowadays, for a nominal fee, just about anyone can go skydiving. But what about skydiving with a massive flag? This team of daredevils in the skies over Dubai decided they would nab a Guinness World Record for doing exactly that.
More in OMG!
Man Resigns From Job With Hilarious Card Even His Boss Found Funny
No one enjoys working at a job they hate. It’s frustrating, stressful, and it can often harm your mental health to...July 15, 2019
This Woman Who “Died” For 27 Minutes Brought Back A Miraculous Message From the Other Side
While everyone eventually passes away, not everyone gets the chance to do it more than once. Only a small percentage of...July 14, 2019
Blue Java Bananas Are A ‘Sweet Treat’ You Can Grow Yourself
Move over boring, yellow, Cavendish bananas. Blue Java bananas are a hidden gem in the world of fruit. Not only do...July 7, 2019
Meet The Identical Twins Anna And Lucy DeCinque, Who Want To Marry The Same Man
Crowned the "Most Identical Twins In The World," Anna and Lucy Decinque of Perth, Australia, do literally everything together. So when...July 1, 2019
Do You Keep Having This Recurring Dream? Here’s What It Might Mean
As we sleep, our body might take a rest, but our mind and subconscious are still at work, often presenting us...June 27, 2019
Unable To Settle For A Single Rescue Dog, Woman Takes Home The Whole Shelter
It’s nearly impossible for any dog-lover not to fall head-over-heels for a loveable pooch in need. When Danielle Eden, the founder...June 22, 2019
A Stunning Bald Eagle Rescue In Philadelphia, The City Of Liberty
The bald eagle is the majestic symbol of the United States. When one is sighted in the wild it’s an exciting...June 20, 2019
When A Man Asked This Woman To Spot His For Some Milk, She Didn’t Stop There
Most of us have been asked for money by someone on the street. Sometimes they’re homeless. Sometimes they’re just down on...June 17, 2019
Meet Instagram’s ‘Pizza Girl’ Who Got A Giant Pizza Tattoo
Who doesn’t love pizza? Are you even human if you don’t love the cheesy, delicious food? You don’t have to ask...June 16, 2019