Elaborate Cosplay Costumes That Bring Our Favorite Fantasy Characters To Life
Who says costumes are only meant for Halloween? Today, people around the world are finding all sorts of reasons to dress up. Specifically, more and more people are engaging in “cosplay” – a term that joins costume and play to represent a performance art in which participants take on the costumes of specific characters. With the likes of Marvel and DC Comic movies gaining popularity along with animated films and video games becoming increasingly elaborate, cosplay has become all the more popular.
With their intricate costumes, obsessive attention to detail, masterful makeup and crazy complex accessories, you won’t want to miss this collection of cosplayers who turn fantasy into reality.
1. This cosplayer is combining two of our super hero favorites. Inspired by Batman character Two-Face, she re imagined the dual-faced look with Wonder Woman.
2. We’ve got to hand it to this cosplayer, who sacrificed a ton of time and the temporary use of his hands, to reimagine the character Vi from the game League of Legends.
3. Look at this costume, isn’t it neat? Wouldn’t you think her collection’s complete? This Ariel costume is truly mesmerizing. We’d love to be a part of this cosplayer’s Little Mermaid world any day.
4. This cosplaying woman is taking us to another galaxy, and into the world of the Diablo III video game. She’s dressed as a wizard from the game, a character that relies on intelligence. And we’d say this is a pretty smart take on the art of cosplay.
5. This absolutely awe-inspiring costume is based off of the StarCraft video game. This dedicated cosplayer is dressed as an adjutant, a supercomputer-type character from the game. Talk about a well-oiled machine!
6. Superheroes take on villains and they also, apparently, take on the city subway. Imagine stepping into one of these subway cars and being greeted by this cast of cosplaying commuters.
7. Some cosplaying costumes are just out of this world, and this one is definitely included. This draenei character from the World of Warcraft proves that with proper makeup and attention to detail, worlds can truly collide.
8. We’re wigging out over this clever cosplay costume. One part Batman, one part Suicide Squad, all parts awesome, and sure to impress at any cosplaying convention. We wouldn’t mess with this girl gang.
9. The best cosplaying outfits show a deep understanding of the characters they are trying to emulate. Here, this woman is showing off her X-Men: Days of Future Past knowledge, dressing as Mystique when she shape-shifts into a US Army officer.
10. Cosplayers can master the art of their craft by taking a character and making it their own. And this woman is doing just that by putting a girl power spin on Captain America.
11. With cosplay, everyone can find their niche and run with it. Here, this woman is dressed as San from the animated movie Princess Mononoke. With her elaborate jewelry and face paint, she’s showing us a pretty sharp take on the character.
12. The Mother of Dragons took a break to pose for a picture. This cosplayer nails the instantly-recognizable Khaleesi of the Dothraki from Game of Thrones and shows us that cosplay is no game.
13. This shape shifting costume shaped up to be an incredible cosplay. Covered in blue body paint and the signature fiery red wig, we’re mystified by this take on Mystique from X-Men.
14. Taking on the challenge of dressing up as another human is one thing. Taking on the challenge of dressing as a dragon is another. Just take in this creative take on Deathwing from World of Warcraft.
15. Here’s a Jedi mind trick. This woman is not from the world of Star Wars, she is actually a cosplayer dressed as Queen Amidala. Move over, Natalie Portman. There’s a new queen in town.
16. This mesmerizing cosplay costume shows us what the performance art aspect of dressing up is all about. From the intricate headpiece to the totally transformative makeup, she has mastered her impersonation of a frost wyrm from World of Warcraft.
17. Cosplaying can make even the most shy people come out of their shell. Or, sometimes, it can put people in a shell. Take, for example, this woman dressed as D.Va from the Overwatch video game.
18. Cosplaying is definitely not limited to taking on characters from video games, movies and television shows. Sometimes, impersonating your favorite fast food icons can be just as fun.
19. This Overwatch cosplayer is definitely one to watch. She has absolutely nailed her take on the 19-year-old character D.Va from the popular South Korean video game.
20. Some of the best cosplaying costumes make us wonder how some of the elaborate accessories are even made. And we can safely ask that question about this unique headpiece worn by a woman playing the character Widowmaker from the Overwatch video game.
21. Who run the cosplaying world? Girls. These two women are dressed as the butt kicking, dynamic duo from the female focused video game Xena: Warrior Princess, Xena and her sidekick Gabrielle.
22. Just because you are dressed up like a supehero does not mean that you cannot engage in regular, everyday type of activities. Thankfully, these cosplayers got that memo with a side of fries.
23. Why so serious? This cosplayer is dressed up as The Night King, leader of the White Walkers in Game of Thrones.We’re seriously impressed by the amount of work that went into this insane makeup.
24. This Iron Man impersonator really ironed out the details for his costume. From the gloves, to the body suit, to the built in lights, this cosplayer is totally dressed to impress.
25. There’s no question that even though this “outfit” does not come with much clothing, putting it together must have taken a TON of work. From head-to-toe, he has mastered the signature red and black skin of Darth Maul from Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.
26. We’re hooked on this costume from this Captain Hook cosplayer. From the signature mustache to Hook’s flamboyantly feathered hat and coiffed ringlets, we applaud the attention to detail shown here.
27. Who said Chewbacca could not be chic? Faux fur is always in fashion when you’re cosplaying the beloved Star Wars character. We can almost hear the Chewbacca roar from here.
28. There’s no monkeying around in cosplay. Unless you’re dressed up as Jane Porter, of course, from the Tarzan movies, in which case we will allow it. Disney World actresses, take note. This cosplayer has her Jane impersonation down.
29. There are few characters as loved as Professor Albus Dumbledore from the Harry Potter movies. He’s everyone’s favorite magical grandfather from the wizarding world. And, apparently, he’s also a favorite within the cosplaying world.
30. We assume that dressing as a “tree-like being” must take a lot of work. That is especially true for this cosplayer, who constructed this immensely elaborate costume of Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.
31. In Tim Burton’s movie The Nightmare Before Christmas, we see character Sally Finkelstein constantly getting in situations where she has to literally sew herself back together. This cosplayer must have taken notes, because she sewed up a pretty incredible costume.
32. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the mightiest and fairest elf of them all? If you’ve read of watched the Lord of the Rings series, you know the answer is Galadriel, pictured here accepting a sword from a humble dwarf.
33. Busting out of his too-small shirt and jeans, we can’t tell if this cosplayer is dressed as the Hulk, or someone trying on summer clothing after a long, gluttonous winter. Just kidding, we’re pretty sure this incredible costume is a homage to the Incredible Hulk.
34. Gender bending is just as much a staple of the cosplaying community as the face paint and intricate costumes. And we’re in love with this gender-bending take on some of the most well-known superheroes.
35. This cosplayer masterfully embodies the main character, Goku, from the Dragon Ball Z video game. Among Goku’s signature traits, he transitions from brown hair to blonde when he transforms into a more powerful version of himself. Does that mean blondes have more fun?
36. This character is a talented pilot, and this cosplayer is equally as talented at her craft. Pictured here dressed as Hera Syndulla from Star Wars, this cosplayer is transporting us to a galaxy far, far away.
37. We never thought we would see this kind of collaboration! Take a look at these two cosplayers, dressed as Marvel Comic supervillain Thanos and Jon Snow of Game of Thrones fame.
38. Some cosplay costumes really just kill it. And this rendition of Killer Croc, the arch nemesis of Batman, is no exception. Just look at the amount of work that went into the face makeup alone!
39. We’re all mad about this Mad Hatter costume. This eclectic outfit is made even more fanciful with the added details put into this man’s chair, making it one extremely awesome example of perfectly executed cosplay.
40. It is almost hard to keep up with the tangled web that is weaved in the Guardians of the Galaxy universe. But the crazy connections do lead to some great group cosplaying opportunities. Mantis, Gamora and Nebula, pictured here, seem to agree.
41. This mega awesome throwback costume by this Mega Man cosplayer is bringing us back to the days of Game Boy and Sega Genesis. We can’t even begin to imagine the time and effort it took to put this together.
42. This costume is serving us major Blue Steel vibes. Taken straight from the screen of Zoolander, this cosplayer’s take on villain Mugatu is equal parts chic and impressive. Just make sure you don’t go near him if he plays the song “Relax.”
43. Shape shifting is not only reserved for video games. Cosplayers can shape shift from a normal person to any character they want. And this woman chose to transform into a shapeshifting Night Elf Druid from World of Warcraft.
44. Ever since its movie adaptation, Black Panther has been inspiring audiences everywhere. And the comic-turned-film has inspired cosplayers as well. This committed cosplayer is seen dressed here as warrior Okoye.
45. All it takes to make a great cosplay costume is some hard work, effort and a little bit of pixie dust. Especially if you’re dressed as Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. This classic costume will never grow up, and never grow old.
46. Everyone knows not to go playing with poison ivy. But does that rule apply if you’re playing Poison Ivy? Apparently not, and we’re glad this cosplayer didn’t stay away from portraying this DC Comics supervillain.
47. Sometimes you have to be brave to step out in public with such an intricate cosplay costume. If you’re this woman, she decided to be brave, quite literally, as she embodies Disney Princess Merida from Brave.
48. Jack and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas are one of those classic movie couples. But this gender-bending duo took a not-so-classic take on the pair and decided to switch up the stereotypical roles. Anything goes in cosplay!
49. These cosplayers are no joke. With one pictured here as The Joker and another pictured as Harley Quinn, together they make up one of the most notorious couples in comic book history.
50. It’s a comic, it’s a popular film, and now it’s inspiration for a pretty incredible cosplay costume. This Thor costume has all the bells and whistles, including his famed enchanted hammer, to create an enchanting outfit.
More in Entertainment
Bride Recalls The Awkward Moment Her Mother-In-Law Wore A Wedding Dress To Her Son’s Wedding
Weddings can be stressful enough for brides without having to worry about guests committing a major wedding crime: Wearing white on...July 11, 2019
The Most Popular Hair Trend From The Year You Were Born
We have many ways of expressing our personality and individualism through how we dress, yet few statements about our character could...July 1, 2019
All Seemed Normal Until Reality Swooped In And Handed Out These Hilarious Life Fails
Sometimes it seems that no matter how prepared we are, the universe as a whole is determined to throw us a...June 30, 2019
Three Pugs Create Cutest Game Of Thrones Photos Ever
It seems like everyone is excited about HBO’s Game of Thrones as it enters its final season. Three pugs, Roxie, Blue,...June 28, 2019
Vintage Travel Photos That Will Transport You Back To The Glamorous Golden Age Of Flying
Known as the 'Golden Age of Travel,' commercial flights really took off between the 1950s and the 1960s. And once you...June 25, 2019
Movie Theater Secrets Cinema Owners Would Like To Keep Hidden
For many of us, movie theaters are places of magic. You walk into that grandiose structure to the tempting smell of...June 20, 2019
Keanu Reeves Secretly Donates Millions Of Dollars To Children’s Charities Annually
Did you know that Keanu Reeves is the ultimate philanthropist? Not only is the elusive John Wick star a legendary actor, but he’s...June 18, 2019
Throwback Trend: The Unusual Origin Story Of Trader Joe’s ‘Two Buck Chuck’
Delicious wine at a great price. That’s the promise of Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw Wines, popularly known as “Two Buck Chuck”...June 9, 2019
Lego Breaks Records By Reaching 100% Renewable Energy
If you’re a fan of sustainable companies, then you’ll probably want to support LEGO. That’s because they’ve achieved their goal of...June 6, 2019