These TSA Dogs That Were “Too Nice” For Work Are Totally Up For Adoption
The TSA is bringing “adopt don’t shop” to a whole new level. An average of 140 dogs are in TSA training at any given time, so it’s no wonder that at least a few wouldn’t quite make the cut. In fact, about 83% of the dogs graduate from the program. But what about the other 17%? Well, they’re just too nice.
Who’s A Good Boy?
TSA training dogs are given some serious training before being approved for work. After all, they are responsible for detecting explosives and other illicit materials.
Some dogs, however, just don’t make the cut. That’s where the TSA Canine Adoption Program comes in.
School Drop Outs
The pups entered into the adoption program aren’t necessarily “failures.” Some just happen to be too nice or took too many naps while on the job. Through the TSA Canine Adoption Program, large breed dogs between two and four years old or those ready for retirement are available for adoption. The most common dog breeds include German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, German Shorthaired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointers, Vizslas, Belgian Malinois, and Golden Retrievers.
“These dogs are highly active and in most cases, untrained and not housebroken, but with proper training and care, they can be a great addition to families,” the program’s website states.
A New Furrever Friend
After submitting their applications and receiving photos of the dogs up for adoption, potential owners are allowed to meet with the flunked pups at the Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas. The TSA Canine Adoption Program is so successful, in fact, it is not currently taking applications for adoptions due to an extensive waiting list.
More than 100 dogs are trained each year so applications are sure to open up again in the future. Would you adopt one of these furry guys as your new furrever friend?
More in Impact
Student Nominated For Nobel Prize After ‘Skipping School’ For Environmental Activism
Young people have the power to change their world. Greta Thunberg, an ordinary student in Sweden, decided she would take a...April 15, 2019
During Bus Ride, Fifth Grade Boy Spots Odd Scene Along Roadside And It Ends Up Saving A Life
Fifth grader Jerald Withers wasn’t so different from other kids his age. On most days, he concerned himself with homework, household...April 15, 2019
The Internet Is Rallying Around This Verizon Employee Who Was Suspended After Rescuing A Cat
After trying for hours to get a cat down from a light pole, neighbors were relieved to see Maurice German the Verizon...April 14, 2019
11-Year-Old Golden Retriever Gets New Leash On Life With His Very Own Seeing Eye Dog Buddy
When Chelsea and Adam Stipe of Mooresville, North Carolina, discovered their 11-year-old golden retriever, Charlie, was losing his sight, they decided...April 12, 2019
Guy Sends One Tweet About His Dad’s Empty Donut Shop And Customers Immediately Roll In
A man named Satharith By was seriously struggling to get customers to come to his new donut shop in Missouri City, Texas....April 11, 2019
Former Marketing Exec Becomes ‘Savior Of Stray Dogs’ In La Paz, Bolivia
Life can be tough for stray dogs living on the streets of Bolivia. Fernando Kushner, a former businessman, relinquished a lucrative...April 10, 2019
The #Trashtag Viral Challenge Is Actually Making A Positive Impact On The Environment
Now, this is a challenge that everyone should get behind. A man in Arizona recently pushed for the next generation to...April 4, 2019
Women’s History Month Will Soon Be Able To Include The First All-Female Spacewalk
Every March, women’s history month celebrates the power of women to accomplish anything. That’s why it’s more than fitting that NASA...March 25, 2019
Vets Make Nick-Of-Time Rescue Of ‘Fluffy’ The Cat Found Nearly Frozen In Montana
A Montana cat and its owners were thanking their lucky stars recently as a local veterinarian and his dedicated staff were able...March 17, 2019